Friday, January 17, 2014

Prayers for Creative People

Over the last year, I have come to rely heavily on the book of "Christian Prayer" during my devotion time. "Christian Prayer" is the liturgy of Catholic Christians and using it has revolutionized by prayer life.

I must confess right away that I have trouble praying because my mind either wanders or I fall
sweetleighmama
asleep. When I was a child, praying was much easier. I recited "Now I lay me down to sleep" then at the end I would say "God bless ..." I had all of my people covered. When I was a little older I abandoned that childish prayer and just recited my list of requests to God every night. As an adult, however, I realized that prayer was deeper. Prayer is a time not only talk to God but to listen as well. It is a time to remain silent so that God can infuse my heart with peace. It is also a time to pour out my heart. Most importantly, prayer is a time for expressions of gratitude. It is a time to pray for children, loved ones, the church, and the world. I found an outlet for this in the book of "Christian Prayer."


"Christian Prayer" also relies heavily on scripture so there a chance to memorize the Bible and to pray scripture with millions of people around the globe.

"Christian Prayer" is not the only place to find prayers. There is the the Book of Common Prayer, the Bible and other Christian writings. You can even write your own prayers to recite during your time alone with God. 

Here are some prayers that are good for creative people. 

An Artist's Prayer
Come, O Creator Spirit, visit our minds, and fill with your grace the hearts you have created. Grant us, we humbly pray, an abundance of that creative inspiration which is the source of every true work of art.
May the fruit of our artistic talents transfigure matter and open the human soul to the sense of the eternal and Triune God, who is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
Amen
In Ruminate Magazine, author Alexa Van Dalsem has compiled some prayers for artists:
From The Book of Common Prayer
17. For Church Musicians and Artists
O God, whom saints and angels delight to worship in
heaven: Be ever present with your servants who seek through
art and music to perfect the praises offered by your people on
earth; and grant to them even now glimpses of your beauty,
and make them worthy at length to behold it unveiled for
evermore; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Prayer for Artists

Bless the creators, O God of creation,
who by their gifts make the world
a more joyful and beautiful realm.
Through their labors
they teach us to see more clearly
the truth around us.
In their inspiration
they call forth wonder and awe
in our own living.
In their hope and vision
they remind us
that life is holy.
Bless all who create in your image,
O God of creation.
Pour your Spirit upon them
that their hearts may sing
and their works be fulfilling.
Amen.
Prayer for Vocation in Daily Work (in the arts or any vocation)
Deliver us from the service of self alone,
that we may do the work You have given us to do,
in truth and beauty and for the common good,
for the sake of the One who comes among us
as One who serves.
Amen.
enchantedcanvas

No comments:

Post a Comment