Friday, January 31, 2014

Jewelry maker provides help in prayer with Protestant prayer beads

If you are anything like me, you struggle with prayer. Sometimes it is very difficult to keep my mind focused on what I am saying or I fall asleep. Does this sound familiar? I shared this two Fridays ago in our Prayers for Creative People blog and while I do not want to repeat myself too much, I wanted to provide you with some background on what led me to another helpful practice.

Prayer beads.

I am sure you have heard of prayer beads. Many religions use them. Here in the United States, Catholic rosaries are the most well known method for utilizing beads in prayer, but did you know that Protestants also pray with beads? I found this out when I was researching rosaries and it intrigued me. I found out that Anglican Prayer beads or Christian Prayer beads are used by Methodists, Lutherans, Episcopalians here in the United States. In the mid-1980s, the Episcopalians developed a method for using the beads.

Not long into my research, I discovered a little book written by Kristen E. Vincent called "A Bead and a Prayer: A Beginner's Guide to Protestant Prayer Beads." I then also found out that Kristen has an Etsy shop called Prayerworks Studio . These are some of her items and more are coming Monday, February 3:

PrayerworksStudio

PrayerworksStudio

PrayerworksStudio

PrayerworksStudio

PrayerworksStudio

PrayerworksStudio

Since I have only been using prayer beads for a few months, my experience is limited; however, the benefit is already apparent to me. By using the beads, it is easier to keep track of my thoughts. I have also experienced a deeper sense of peace in my life and this is directly related to moments of contemplation and meditation on Scriptures suggested in Kristen's book and in "Praying With Beads: Daily Prayers for the Christian Year" by Nann Lewis Doerr and Virginia Stem Owens. I am so glad that I began using these beads because they have helped me draw closer to God, which was my goal in the first place.

You can find out more about Kristen and her ministry at her blog, A Bead 'N A Prayer: A Journey in Prayer One Bead at a Time. Be sure to check out her store. She sells hand made prayer beads for children and adults; she sells kits should you prefer to make one. Kristen has also started selling cards relating to prayer and you can find copies of her book as well.

Do you pray with beads? If so, what is your experience? If not, does this interest you? Why?

If you do not use prayer beads, what other methods do you use during prayer to stay focused?

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment